Thursday, August 12, 2010

Toy Story 3 3D (film)

I am having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I have just cried in a children's film. On three separate occasions.

An animated children's film with a 3 in its title.

I was not the only one, either. The only other guy on my row was in floods. There was the sound of suppressed male sobbing from the row behind.

I am just glad that there were enough Easter Eggs in the closing credits that I had time to dry my face and compose myself before I had to walk out.

There is not a boring moment. The ending is apocalyptic and heart-warming at the same time.

The faultless 3D may be part of that. It's only the third 3D film I've seen with the circular polarizer technique. It is not obviously exploited, but it makes the whole thing seem utterly real despite the fact that it makes no attempt to be realistic.

This film is a witty, clever, well plotted, funny, adult, knowing, exciting, merciless tear-jerker. It is utterly wonderful, and a modern classic. It will be repeated on 3D televisions for many Christmases to come and it will mean that the current generation of children will never, ever be able to throw their toys away. And at the moment, I think that this will be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers